The call, reportedly requested by Seoul, was the first between Cho and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi since the HMM Namu was attacked near the Strait of Hormuz in early May. It marked their fourth phone conversation since the U.S.-Iran war broke out in February.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said on Sunday via its official Telegram account that Araghchi held talks with Cho and explained Tehran’s view of the situation in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz.
The ministry said Araghchi referred to the history of friendly relations between the two countries and stressed the importance of developing bilateral ties.
It also said Araghchi briefed Cho on current conditions in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, arguing that instability imposed on the Middle East and its global consequences were caused by what it called acts of aggression by the U.S. and the “Zionist regime,” referring to Israel.
South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said earlier that Cho asked Iran to state its position on the recent attack on the HMM Namu in the Strait of Hormuz.
Cho also explained that Seoul is conducting an additional investigation into the incident and emphasized the importance of the safety of all vessels, including Korean ships, and freedom of navigation in the strait.
The HMM Namu had been anchored near the Strait of Hormuz in early May when two unidentified flying objects struck the port side near the stern of the vessel twice, about one minute apart, according to South Korean authorities.
Debris from the flying objects that struck the HMM Namu later arrived in South Korea from Dubai last Friday for additional examination.
Iran’s Embassy in Seoul has denied involvement in the incident.
Copyright ⓒ Aju Press All rights reserved.