The cyber breach investigation committee held its inaugural meeting on Tuesday, marking the formal stand-up of a body created under a revised Information and Communications Network Act passed in response to a string of high-profile breaches last year.
The urgency behind the move is hard to overstate.
Breaches at top mobile carriers SK Telecom and KT, along with incidents at Lotte Card and e-commerce platform Yes24, exposed millions of South Koreans' personal data in 2025 alone — a sobering streak that rattled confidence in a country long regarded as a global IT leader.
Once fully operative, the committee can initiate ex officio investigations into serious incidents — even without a company filing a report — when evidence of a breach is clear or significant public harm is at risk.
The revised law is not scheduled to take effect until Oct. 1, but the ministry moved up the committee's launch to build out a public-private response framework in advance, allowing the body to function in an advisory capacity in the interim.
The 13-member panel draws on academic experts and private-sector security professionals alongside specialists from the Korea Internet & Security Agency, the Financial Security Institute, and the National Security Research Institute. Members with confirmed ties to companies under investigation will be barred from participating, the ministry said.
"We will do our best to effectively respond to cyberattacks by combining private-sector expertise with the government's public mandate," Vice Minister Ryu Je-myung said at the meeting, where attendees also discussed AI-driven security threats and avenues for deeper cooperation between industry and the state.
Copyright ⓒ Aju Press All rights reserved.