When asked why Kim had not responded to his calls for talks, Trump pushed back, saying, "How do you know he hasn't responded?" When pressed on whether Kim had in fact responded, Trump replied, "Yeah, he has."
But Trump did not provide any further details, leaving it unclear how or when Kim responded. He also did not say whether Kim's response could lead to formal talks. Still it was the first time since returning to office that Trump has said publicly that North Korea had responded to his calls for dialogue.
Trump has frequently highlighted his personal relationship with Kim, whom he met three times during his first term, in Singapore in 2018, Hanoi in 2019 and at Panmunjom on the inter-Korean border later that year.
Trump's comments at the White House came a day after he instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to "substantially" scale back a joint military exercise between Seoul and Washington, which began its 10-day training earlier this week.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump argued that the "costly" exercise sent an "inappropriate and hostile" message to North Korea, adding that Kim had always treated him "with great respect."
The developments have raised questions about whether Washington is trying to make room for renewed talks with Pyongyang, while some observers worry that smaller military exercises could weaken deterrence and readiness on the Korean Peninsula.
Trump also criticized South Korea for its reluctance to back U.S. policy on Iran and raised questions about the cost of keeping U.S. troops in South Korea. He disclosed that he had recently asked Seoul to assist with the ongoing conflict with Iran, but South Korea declined. He then questioned why South Korea would not assist the U.S. while Washington maintains tens of thousands of troops on the Korean Peninsula.
"We have 39,000 soldiers over there guarding you from Kim Jong-un, your next-door neighbor, and you are not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran," Trump said. "That's strange," warning that the U.S. could not indefinitely provide security guarantees to countries that he believes do not reciprocate.
It remains unclear whether Washington and North Korea will resume talks, but Trump's latest comments and decision to scale back the joint exercise suggest that he may seek dialogue with Kim amid declining approval ratings ahead of the U.S. midterm elections this fall.
AJP Takeaways:
- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Aug. 17, 2026, that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un had responded to his offer of talks, but Trump gave no details about when or how Kim responded or whether the exchange could lead to formal negotiations.
- Trump described the current state of U.S.-North Korea relations as "very positive" and again emphasized his personal relationship with Kim Jong-un, whom he met three times in 2018 and 2019.
- Trump ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to substantially scale back a joint U.S.-South Korea military exercise, arguing that the costly drills send an "inappropriate and hostile" message to North Korea. The move has raised concerns about its potential impact on deterrence and military readiness.
- Trump criticized South Korea over its refusal to assist the United States in the conflict with Iran, questioning why Seoul would not provide support while the United States maintains tens of thousands of troops on the Korean Peninsula.
- Trump's comments and the decision to reduce the military exercise could signal an effort to create room for renewed diplomacy with North Korea, although it remains unclear whether Washington and Pyongyang will resume formal talks. The developments come ahead of the Nov. 3, 2026, U.S. midterm elections.
Copyright ⓒ Aju Press All rights reserved.