The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise (UFS), which began earlier this week and was originally scheduled to run for 11 days through Aug. 27, is being cut to five days and end on Friday.
South Korea and the U.S. have also agreed to reduce some field training. The shortened schedule effectively eliminates a second phase that had been scheduled for next week and focused on counterattack operations after an initial defensive phase. Fourteen battalion-level or larger combined field training drills had originally been planned.
The development comes after Trump ordered the Pentagon on Aug. 16 to make a "substantial" reduction in the exercise.
Trump cited the cost of the exercise, his close personal relationship with Kim and Seoul's refusal to support a U.S. request for help in its war against Iran. Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told lawmakers last Wednesday that neither South Korean nor U.S. officials had known about the order in advance, an unusual breakdown in coordination over an exercise at the heart of the alliance's combined defense structure.
The military move has been accompanied by increasingly explicit diplomatic signals from Trump. On Monday, he said Kim had responded to his overtures without elaborating. On Wednesday, Trump went further, saying he expected to meet Kim later this year and asserting that North Korea possessed 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons.
The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump has been pressing aides to arrange a meeting as early as this fall, possibly around his trip to China for the APEC summit in Shenzhen. The APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting is scheduled for Nov. 18-19. No formal summit preparations have been announced.
The nuclear stakes were underscored on Thursday when South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers that estimates by private institutions put North Korea's stockpile at roughly 80 to 120 nuclear warheads, while cautioning that Seoul's military could not verify an exact figure.
Pyongyang, meanwhile, has sent deliberately mixed signals. Kim Yo-jong, the North Korean leader's powerful sister, denied that there had been recent communication between Washington and Pyongyang and argued that reducing the exercise did not fundamentally change what North Korea sees as hostile U.S. policy. At the same time, she said that the personal relationship between Trump and her brother remained "excellent," leaving open at least the possibility of renewed high-level diplomacy.
Taken together, the rapid sequence has raised a broader question in Seoul. Is Trump using the reduction in the joint exercise as a tactical gesture to bring Kim back to the negotiating table, as he did during his first term, or does the decision signal a deeper reassessment of the U.S.-South Korea alliance?
Three motives — and a warning from Yoo Seong-min
Former conservative lawmaker Yoo Seong-min, who previously chaired the National Assembly's National Defense Committee, sees a potentially much broader and more dangerous convergence.
Yoo told AJP that he believes three factors may have driven Trump's decision: a desire to stage another high-profile encounter with Kim after the Singapore, Hanoi and Panmunjom meetings of 2018 and 2019; resentment that South Korea has not joined U.S. military efforts in the Iran war; and frustration over the slow implementation of Seoul's $350 billion U.S. investment pledge while South Korean President Lee Jae Myung pushes ahead with a massive semiconductor cluster in Jeolla provinces.
Seoul's $350 billion commitment was made as part of last year's trade agreement with Washington. South Korea launched a state-backed investment corporation in June to manage the package including $200 billion in strategic investments and $150 billion in shipbuilding-related investment, but no individual projects had been finalized at the time. Cho said Wednesday that implementation had been slower than Washington wanted because Seoul had to consider commercial viability and legal procedures.
Separately, Samsung Electronics and SK hynix have pledged a combined 800 trillion won ($573.8 billion) in investment for four memory-chip fabrication plants as part of the government-backed semiconductor cluster in Gwangju and the wider southwestern region.
There is no public evidence that Trump personally linked the project to his decision on military exercises and Yoo presented that connection as his own assessment. Trump himself publicly cited the Iran issue, the cost of the exercise and his relationship with Kim. South Korea's foreign minister, however, also said that he believed Trump's message was partly aimed at pressuring Seoul over the Iran war and unresolved investment issues.
"Trump always tends to speak first and act first, so there has been an argument that we should watch his actions rather than his words," Yoo said.
"But in this case, UFS was cut in half immediately after Trump's instruction, and the counterattack portion that had been conducted every year was dropped. I think it would be complacent to dismiss this as mere verbal intimidation."
"A drastic reduction in South Korea-U.S. joint military exercises could ultimately lead to questions about the reason for the existence of the Combined Forces Command, the United Nations Command and U.S. Forces Korea, and could lead to a process of weakening or dismantling the alliance," Yoo said.
His concern also extends to Seoul's push to regain wartime operational control or OPCON from Washington.
That connection is not merely theoretical. Before Trump's intervention, the allies said this year's UFS would specifically support preparations for the conditions-based OPCON transition. Seoul is in the second phase of a three-stage process, and the exercise has been used to assess South Korea's capacity to lead the future combined command. President Lee has said his administration wants to complete the transition during his term while strengthening South Korea's ability to defend itself.
Yoo also pointed to Lee's Aug. 15 Liberation Day address, delivered just one day before Trump's exercise directive. Lee proposed discussions among relevant parties to formally end the Korean War, transform the armistice regime into a peace regime and find "effective measures" to halt further advances in North Korea's nuclear capabilities. He said peace on the Korean Peninsula could become a milestone toward "a world without nuclear weapons."
Yoo argued that Trump's willingness to reduce military pressure and Lee's peace-oriented approach could reinforce each other in ways that increase centrifugal pressure on the alliance.
Kim Gunn sees a diversion, not yet a diplomatic breakthrough
PPP Rep. Kim Gunn, a member of the National Assembly's Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee and a former diplomat, took a considerably more cautious view.
"It is still unclear how this will develop," Kim told AJP.
Kim said Kim Yo-jong's reaction was particularly important because her denial of recent U.S.-North Korean communication casts doubt on the idea that Trump reduced the exercises as the result of an already functioning back channel with Pyongyang.
"Judging from Kim Yo-jong's response, it does not appear that the exercises were scaled back because some communication is already taking place between the United States and North Korea," Kim said. "At this point, it looks more like a diversionary tactic by President Trump."
Kim's comments highlight the gap between Trump's claims and North Korea's statements. Trump said Kim had responded to his efforts to contact him, but Kim Yo-jong later said she was not aware of any recent communication between the two leaders.
Theda Skocpol, the Victor S. Thomas Professor of Government and Sociology at Harvard University, was even more skeptical that Trump’s decision could be interpreted through a conventional policy framework.
"Who knows why he does anything?" Skocpol told AJP.
She pointed instead to Trump's frustration over the Iran war and weakening domestic political standing as possible context for the timing.
"The U.S. president is frustrated he is not in control of the Iran war and increasingly unpopular at home," Skocpol said.
The Iran conflict remains unresolved nearly six months after U.S.-Israeli attacks began on Feb. 28. A Reuters/Ipsos poll released Aug. 17 put Trump's approval rating at 33 percent, the lowest of his presidency, while 80 percent of respondents said they expected the Iran war to be prolonged. U.S. military resources have also been pulled toward the Middle East, including the redeployment of the USS George Washington aircraft carrier from the Pacific.
Skocpol also cautioned Seoul against interpreting Trump’s conduct as being uniquely unfavorable toward South Korea.
"South Korea should realize that Trump treats all allies this way," she said. "Not specific to South Korea."
Asked what Seoul should watch for next, she offered an equally stark assessment. "With Trump, nothing remains consistent."
Michael Zürn, professor of international and transnational relations at the Hertie School in Berlin, saw Trump's move as part of a broader pattern in his dealings with U.S. allies.
"There is a general pattern of collaborating with authoritarians to shift the burden onto allies," Zürn told AJP, pointing to Trump's approach toward NATO, his treatment of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and now South Korea.
While such an approach could produce "short-term success in reducing American costs," Zürn warned that its longer-term consequences could be far more profound. He said the systemic effect could ultimately be "the end of the Non-Proliferation Regime," reversing what he described as one of the most important U.S. foreign-policy objectives since World War II.
Andrew Hom, senior lecturer in international relations at the University of Edinburgh, identified two plausible explanations but said the evidence is not yet strong enough to conclude that Washington has adopted a new Korea strategy.
Hom said the decision was most likely driven either by pressure on U.S. munitions and military hardware from the ongoing war in Iran or by a broader shift in Washington's "Asia pivot," although he cautioned that the latter explanation would require much more evidence.
Hom said the exercise reduction "could" indicate a deliberate effort by Trump and his team to reengage Kim, but warned against extrapolating a durable policy shift from one presidential decision.
"No one would be surprised if he were to qualify his statement, alter, or reverse course in the near future," Hom said.
On deterrence, Hom assessed the immediate impact as relatively limited, arguing that major exercises are partly signaling mechanisms within the broader structure of long-term and extended deterrence.
But he drew a sharp distinction between a one-off reduction and an enduring change in U.S. force posture.
If Trump's decision marks "the beginning of a significant shift in U.S. policy toward the Korean Peninsula," Hom said, the consequences could become "multiple, complex and possibly dangerous."
A familiar Trump-Kim playbook — in a more dangerous environment
Trump has used joint exercises as diplomatic currency before. After his first summit with Kim in Singapore on June 12, 2018, Trump surprised both allies and U.S. officials by moving to suspend what he called expensive "war games" with South Korea. The Singapore declaration called for new U.S.-North Korean relations, a peace regime on the Korean Peninsula and work toward denuclearization.
A second summit in Hanoi in February 2019 collapsed without an agreement after Washington and Pyongyang failed to bridge differences over sanctions relief and nuclear dismantlement. Trump and Kim met a third time at Panmunjom on June 30, 2019, when Trump became the first sitting U.S. president to step across the military demarcation line into North Korea.
Those meetings produced extraordinary images but no lasting agreement curbing North Korea's nuclear arsenal.
Trump has recently returned to those images. On Aug. 15, he posted a photograph of himself and Kim at Panmunjom on Truth Social, writing that although they did not look particularly friendly in that particular image, there were many pictures of them smiling and adding that he and Kim "get along GREAT!"
But the strategic environment in 2026 is substantially different from that of 2018. North Korea's nuclear and missile forces are larger and more sophisticated, while Pyongyang has developed a far deeper security relationship with Moscow. North Korean forces have also gained battlefield experience through their involvement in Russia's war against Ukraine, a factor the U.S. military itself said it was incorporating into this year’s UFS scenarios.
From Venezuela to Greenland, Iran — and now North Korea
Trump's renewed focus on the Korean Peninsula also fits a striking pattern in his second term: the center of his foreign-policy attention has repeatedly shifted among dramatically different geopolitical theaters.
The progression is not perfectly linear. In particular, Trump revived his Greenland campaign in July even while the Iran war was continuing. But the administration's headline focus has ricocheted in a matter of months from Venezuela to Greenland, then to the war with Iran and now back to North Korea.
The pace of the shifts has been striking. On Jan. 3, U.S. forces carried out a surprise operation in Venezuela that captured Nicolás Maduro, marking Washington's most dramatic military intervention in Latin America in decades. Barely a day later, Trump renewed his push for U.S. control of Greenland, telling The Atlantic that the United States "absolutely" needed the territory for defense. His administration subsequently said military options remained on the table.
By Feb. 28, the administration's attention had shifted to Iran, as the United States and Israel launched major attacks that triggered a conflict still unresolved as of Aug. 20. Yet Greenland had not disappeared entirely from Trump's agenda. On July 8, while the Iran war was still underway, Trump again raised the issue at the NATO summit in Ankara, saying Greenland should be controlled by the United States and calling the dispute "a big problem." Those were the most recent direct public comments by Trump on Greenland that AJP could verify through Aug. 20.
By mid-August, North Korea had moved rapidly back to the center of Trump's foreign-policy attention. On Aug. 15, he posted a photograph of himself with Kim from their 2019 Panmunjom meeting and emphasized that the two leaders still had a good relationship. The following day, Trump ordered a substantial reduction in U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises. On Aug. 17, he said Kim had responded to his overtures, and on Aug. 19, Trump said publicly that he planned to meet the North Korean leader later this year, while reports indicated that he was pressing aides to explore a summit around his planned trip to Asia in November.
The July 8 Greenland remarks are particularly revealing about the overlap among Trump's foreign-policy campaigns. At the same NATO summit where he again pressed for U.S. control of Greenland, Trump also lashed out at European allies for failing to help Washington in the Iran war.
What would show that this is more than a one-off?
Hom said the decisive evidence would come not from Trump's next statement but from whether the administration follows through institutionally.
"I would need to see significant follow-through from the Trump team and the U.S. military to conclude that this moment marks the start of a sea change in U.S.-Korean relations," Hom said.
Among the signs he would watch are long-term reductions in U.S. troop deployments to South Korea and the wider region, an actual Trump-Kim summit, and whether the Pentagon and Congress replenish depleted U.S. weapons stocks and redirect military systems back toward East Asia.
Copyright ⓒ Aju Press All rights reserved.