Actor Park Jung Min Apologizes After 'Life of Pi' Show Is Canceled Minutes Before Curtain

By LEE KEONHEE Posted : February 11, 2026, 16:00 Updated : February 11, 2026, 16:00
Park Jung Min in 'Life of Pi.'
Park Jung Min in "Life of Pi." (S&Co)


Actor Park Jung Min apologized after the play "Life of Pi" was abruptly canceled shortly before it was to begin in Seoul.

Park posted a message Tuesday through his agency, Sam Company, saying he was "sincerely sorry" to everyone who came to the show the night before. He said he used the agency account because he does not have a personal social media account.
 
"No reason can ease the shock you felt in that moment, and I believe this was our fault," Park wrote. "Thinking of how empty you must have felt turning back with the theater doors still closed, I have nothing I can say." He added that the time, energy and support audiences gave to see the show were "a debt" he cannot repay.

Park said he suggested adding a special performance and that the production company agreed. "I know a re-performance cannot make up for everyone’s disappointment, but I hope it can offer at least a small comfort," he wrote.

He added, "I’m sorry to have put you through an experience you did not want. The actors and all staff will work even harder for the remaining performances. If you can, I hope to see you on the day of the re-performance. On behalf of the team, I apologize again." Online commenters responded with messages such as, "It’s not the actor’s fault," and, "I’m worried about his condition."

The show scheduled to open Feb. 10 at GS Arts Center in Seoul notified audiences of the cancellation at about 7:25 p.m., about five minutes before the 7:30 p.m. start time. The production company said a sudden technical problem occurred in some lighting equipment before the performance. It said it attempted repairs but decided it could not proceed and canceled the show.

After controversy over the cancellation, the "Life of Pi" production said it will stage an additional performance at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 16 with the same cast. Audience members who had tickets for the canceled show can attend in the same seats and will receive a refund of 10% of the ticket price. Those who do not want to attend the additional performance will receive a refund of 110% of the ticket price.
 
The following is Park Jung Min’s full statement.

Hello. I’m Park Jung Min.

First, I want to sincerely apologize to all the audience members who came to last night’s performance. It seems the production company decided to cancel because problems occurred with some lighting equipment and they judged it would cause major inconvenience. There also may have been safety concerns for the puppeteers who must move inside the puppets. However, I believe no reason can ease the shock you felt in that moment, and this was our fault. Thinking of how empty you must have felt turning back with the theater doors still closed, I have nothing I can say. I believe the precious time, energy and heartfelt support you gave to see this show are a debt that cannot be repaid.

My apology comes late. Before apologizing, I felt I needed to work with the production company to prepare as much of an alternative as possible, even if it could not be enough. I also thought an apology without an alternative could be irresponsible. I suggested adding a special performance, and the production company willingly accepted. It seems time was needed to confirm details with the many people involved with the theater and the production, and with the audience members who came yesterday. I know a re-performance cannot make up for everyone’s disappointment, but I still hope it can offer at least a small comfort.

Thanks to the many audience members who have come so far, the actors and staff go onstage each day with gratitude. It has been a while since I last performed onstage, so I am very nervous and afraid in every moment, but I feel your support gives me great strength. Even so, I’m sorry to have put you through an experience you did not want.

For the remaining performances, the actors and all staff will work even harder. If you can, I hope to see you on the day of the re-performance. I will work very hard. And on behalf of the team, I once again offer my sincere apology. I’m sorry.

Sincerely,
Park Jung Min

(I do not have a personal account, so I borrowed the company account to post this. Thank you for your understanding.)



* This article has been translated by AI.

Copyright ⓒ Aju Press All rights reserved.

기사 이미지 확대 보기
닫기